It is that time of the year already! The kids are headed back to school in the coming weeks and we all know what that means. A new school year means going back to a life of routines and schedules. What better time than the start of the school year to implement new healthy habits? Work in these five simple tips to your new school routine for a healthier and happier year!
1. Get The Whole Family Active- Have the kids join a sports team and use that time to walk, run or go for a bike ride yourself. Dedicate a time of the day for a family walk, bike ride or pickup sports game. Find an indoor pool with family swim time.
2. Make Family Dinner a Priority- Even if it is just once a week, make and eat dinner all together. The more often you can have family dinners the better but make sure to commit to a number that is feasible.
3. Eat Breakfast- Breakfast is the most important way to start the day. Both you and the children will have more energy and better focus throughout the day. Whether you pack something to go, make something the night before or set aside time in the morning, find a way to fit in breakfast.
4. Laugh Together- Watch a silly movie, go to the zoo, play board or video games, visit a theme park, share jokes and stories. Dedicate an evening once a month or once a week to laugh, bond and play together as a family.
5. Get More Sleep- Shut down the computer, turn off the TV earlier, and enforce a bedtime for the entire family. Getting enough sleep is important for both physical and mental health for all ages.
For a fresh, sweet and beautiful dessert– perfect for any summer
celebration– try our Lemon Curd Pavlova with Pineapple Habanero
Diamonds. Or Strawberry, Mango or Peach Sprinkles? All you need are
small cookie cutters or scissors to snip your favorite shapes, bake
for a few minutes to crispy and sprinkle on top of this or any pie,
ice cream, pudding or cake for an extra special touch of color and
Use store bought Lemon Curd and whipped cream for faster assembly. The meringues and the Origami Pineapple Habanero Diamonds can be made a couple days ahead and stored in airtight containers.
A gorgeous dessert that will delight at any summer gathering.
PAVLOVA with Lemon Curd and Berries
6 Cups superfine sugar
6 Tablespoons cornstarch
12 egg whites at room temp for 30 minutes
9 Tablespoons cold water
6 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
For Lemon Curd Filling:
4 Cups sugar
6 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Cups fresh lemon juice
3 sticks unsalted butter
18 egg yolks
4 Tablespoons grated lemon zest
6 Cups heavy cream
24 Cups mixed berries
2 sheets Pineapple Habanero, Mango or Strawberry or all three– Origami Wraps
Cut with sciccors or punch cut with small cookie cutters-Pineapple Habanero (or Mango or Strawberry or mix of all 3) Origami Wraps into diamond and heart shapes.
Bake at 190° for 5-7 minutes until just crisp.
Preheat oven to 300F with rack in middle.
Trace approx. 7-inch circles on sheets of parchment papers (will have about 6 circles)
Turn parchment over and put on baking sheet.
Whisk sugar and cornstarch in mixing bowl.
Beat egg whites with salt at medium speed until they hold soft peaks.
Ad water and beat until whites again hold soft peaks.
Increase speed to medium-high and beat in sugar mixture 1 Tablespoon at time. Beat in 1 more minute after all sugar added.
Add vinegar and beat at high speed until meringue is glossy and holds stiff peaks (about 5 minutes)
Gently spread meringues inside parchment paper circles, making edge of meringues slightly higher than the “crater”.
Bake until meringue is golden and has a crust, about 45 minutes (inside will be marshmallow-like).
Turn oven off and prop door open with a wooden spoon. Cool for 45 minutes in oven.
Make Lemon Curd
Stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large, heavy saucepan. Then add lemon juice and butter.
Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking, then continue to simmer, whisking constantly 1 minute.
Lightly beat yolks and whisk in ½ cup lemon mixture, then whisk into remaining mixture in saucepan.
Reduce heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until curd is thickened, about 2 minutes (do not let boil).
Transfer to bowl and stir in zest.
Chill, surface covered with parchment, until cool. (about 1 hour)
Beat heavy cream until it holds soft peak.
Fold in whipped cream into chilled lemon curd.
Spoon lemon curd into meringue and mound berries on top.
Sprinkle Origami sprinkles generously over the top of the pavlova and serve immediately.
Have leftover berries and origami wrap sprinkles? Use them to top your favorite breakfast cereal!
Chef Tracy Griffith whipped up some deliciously fun summer recipes with GemWraps!
Summer dogs with Gem Wraps Tomato Wraps
Chees’burger! With Gem Wraps Mango Chipotle wrap
Grilled steak Fajitas with BBQ & Mango CHipotle Gem Wraps
Check out these and more in our recipes section!