- Pour rice into a standing wire mesh sieve and rinse rice with a swishing hand motion until water runs clear.
- Fan out wet rice up sides and bottom of sieve to dry for 15 minutes.
- Put washed and dried rice into your rice cooker at a 1:1.25 ratio of rice to water. In other words, each cup of rice gets 1 and quarter cups of water.
- Click “Cook”. Your rice will be perfectly ready in 20-25 minutes cooking time. When the cooker automatically switches to “Warm” let rice steam undisturbed (without removing lid) for 10 minutes more. This last step will ensure perfectly textured rice.
- When rice is finished steaming, scoop out of cooker into a large baking dish and dress rice with seasoned rice vinegar by slicing through rice with your rice paddle.
- Return rice to cooker and leave on “Warm” setting. Your sushi rice should be used warm, and never older than 6 hours.
Short grain sushi rice
Premium grade is preferable. Recommended brands: Kagayaki, Lundberg Farms Organic Sushi Rice
1 12- ounce bottle of seasoned rice vinegar
Equipment: a rice cooker with Warm and Cook settings and rice paddle.
Recipe for 4 cups of cooked rice that will yield 8 sushi rolls.
2 cups sushi rice
¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
Send To A Friend
Share This Recipe: